Kickback and have some fun this weekend with Lite Rock 95.9 and Shelly as they bring you fun, upbeat hits all weekend long.
Not a native Southerner, Shelly moved to Cookeville in the 3rd grade and couldn’t understand half of what anyone said, but now she can “y’all” with the best of them and can not imagine living aywhere else!
You can usually find Shelly with her nose in a book, watching movies, crafting something weird and wonderful or enjoying time with her children. In a nutshell, she is a divorced working mom with two wonderful daughters who make her a little bit crazy when they aren’t making her so proud she could just burst, so don’t ask her about them unless you want to hear all about the latest craziness or accomplishments in GREAT detail.
Relax this weekend and take along the fun, upbeat hits with Shelly on Lite Rock 95.9.
Want more Shelly?
1. What’s in your CD player or on your personal playlist right now? I love music of every kind, so my music library has everything from Louis Armstrong to My Chemical Romance with a little country from Sugarland, Lady A and Gary Allen in the mix, too. U2 is probably my favorite band, but asking me for my favorite song or artist is like asking me to pick my favorite child! According to my ipod, the most played songs are INXS’s “Not Enough Time”, “Falling Slowly” by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, “Love Remains the Same” from Gavin Rossdale, Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe” and “Bad Reputation” by Joan Jett.
2. What’s your favorite movie? My favorite movie is Charlie Chaplin’s “City Lights” with “The Philadelphia Story” and “All About Eve” close behind. Obviously, I love old movies best, but watching movies is one of my favorite things to do. My guilty pleasure is manly action movies, especially anything with Jason Statham.
3. What do you watch on T.V.? With two active children, my tv watching is never a regular event. I love “Bones” and “Criminal Minds” but usually will watch whatever happens to be on that best fits my mood whenever I am able to sit down at night!
4. Where are you most likely to be spotted around Cookeville? I am usually out and about with my daughters. We love shopping and eating out, though we don’t do either as much as we would like. They are both dancers and are also active in the band and drama programs at their schools, so CPAC is a favorite haunt. We love the Library and try to get there at least once every few weeks. Cane Creek Park is another favorite place, especially when we can take our dog. We are trying to visit every State Park, but aren’t even through half the list. Of course, that might be because we can’t stay away from Rock Island and Fall Creek Falls.
5. What are your top three favorite foods? My favorite food is chocolate. Then chocolate. And then almonds (yes, covered in chocolate!) Other than that, Pad Thai, tuna casserole with peas and mac and cheese.
6. You’re going to the movies. What are you getting at the concession stand? We get popcorn, a big drink to share (because I hate leaving in the middle of a movie to go to the bathroom) and sometimes some candy. The girls like the sour worms, but I prefer anything chocolate!
7. Do you have pets? I have three cats and a dog. The oldest cat we found half-frozen in a tree one morning when he was a tiny kitten. The dog was a foster dog that needed a new home, but instead of finding another home, we fell in love with her. And the new kittens were adopted from a friend who had rescued their pregnant mother. They are tiny terrors who have turned our house upside down!
8. What made you want to work in radio? I have always loved being in the spotlight- I was heavily involved with theater before having children- and when I discovered radio in college, it was a perfect fit for both my love of music and expressing myself.
9. What was your first job? My first job was babysitting. Kids are so fun to be around and babysitting gives a perfect excuse to play with dolls and color!
10. Can you picture yourself with a different career, if so – what? I always wanted to be the next Bob Dorian on American Movie Classics- he gets to talk about old movies for a living!